By Roger Chartier

United States of America IRS Tax Information

When Roger has some spare time, he posts here. Good articles!


You've lost your tax return in a fire, or when you moved or... somehow and now you need it because the bank or your lawyer wants to see your past three years of income.

Here's what you can do with the IRS

    hand five fingers - www.TaxMan123.com1. You can get the copies that you need by mail, telephone order or by the internet.

    These are transcripts, and they are free and available for the past three years.

    2.  Difference between the two - tax return transcript and tax account transcripts...

    The return transcript shows most of the items, forms and schedules that you submitted when you first filed.

    The account transcript shows the changes that were made by the IRS or yourself after you filed.

    3.  You can order by phone by calling 800-908-9946 or on the web at and find the "Order A Transcript" link there.

    An internet or telephone order usually takes from five to ten days to deliver to you. A mail order of a tax account transcript takes around 30 days for delivery.

    4.  For the mail use the form 4506T-EZ to request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcript. 

    Other individuals as well as businesses and partnerships who want to get transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript must use Form 4506-T.

    5.  For a real copy of the original filed and processed tax return it will cost you $57.00 for each year that you order as of now and they can take up to 60 days for delivery. You can go back six years for this method.

    Use the form 4506 mailing it to the IRS office address listed on the form for your area. If you are in a federally designated disaster area, it would be free. 

    Download forms here.

    Form 4506-T-EZ   -  Form 4506-T    -   Form 4506

TaxMan123 Blog

Roger Chartier - The Author